In their talk at our product management conference Mind the Product 2012 Matt and Hannah argue that MacGuffins can be incredibly useful tools when designing a product. A MacGuffin is a story telling object which serves as a trigger for the plot, most famously the Maltese Falcon in the eponymous book and films or the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. A product MacGuffin would build on this and could serve as a trope in an online product which serves merely as a trigger for the user experience, often evoking a real-world experience we’re already familiar with.
Video: Evoking real-world experiences with a product MacGuffin
By Martin Eriksson on January 30, 2013
About Martin ErikssonMartin Eriksson has 15 years experience building world-class online products in both corporate and start-up environments for global brands such as Monster, Financial Times, Huddle. Currently he is the Chief Product Officer at Covestor, founder of ProductTank and co-founder of Mind the Product.
- What, exactly, is a Product Manager? October 5, 2011
- Product Focused vs. Customer Focused Product Management: What’s the difference? September 13, 2011
- Data Driven: Your Bounce Rate and Time On Site are wrong August 10, 2011
- Beware The Dogma Of Agile And Lean May 2, 2012
- Tame Your Roadmap September 27, 2011
- Moving From Product Management Into Product Strategy May 15, 2013
- The Minimally Viable Feature Approach May 8, 2013
- Tips for managing time expectations in consulting April 24, 2013
- Fear or the fallacy of intuitive UX April 18, 2013
- Dine and Pitch with an MTPcon speaker April 12, 2013
101 A/B testing Agile analytics BBC BBC News case study Cathy Ma Channel 4 Conference Data Dennis Publishing Design Financial Times Google+ google analytics Google X Guardian iPad Jock Busuttil lean product manager Lean Startup Lucy Spence Mind the Product 2012 Mobile Pragmatic Marketing Prioritisation ProductCamp London product culture Product Focus Product Management Product Manager product planning ProductTank remuneration Roadmap Skills Slider Stephen Dunn Tom Chi usability testing UX VC Video Yahoo
Follow @mindtheproduct on Twitter
Sign up for MindTheProduct newsletter
- Becky Yelland on Moving From Product Management Into Product Strategy
- Adam Bullied on Moving From Product Management Into Product Strategy
- Bek’s Article on moving from Product Management into Product Strategy. | Pragmatic Producteer on Moving From Product Management Into Product Strategy
- Product Management - buzz term or here to stay? on What, exactly, is a Product Manager?
- Simon Cast on Fear or the fallacy of intuitive UX